Thursday, June 10, 2010

week 3

The hands on assignment went smooth. of course it was magic when I typed the commands to update the software. I know it goes and looks at the config file I changed and then installed the new software. but you always feel uncomfortable the first time doing that.

my favorite text editor is xemacs. I used it for about 15 years at intel and IBM. I really don't like vi but I probably did not give it a chance. It just seemed so cryptic and complicated at first. I am familiar with basic commands with vi but I am so much more productive with xemacs. I even had xemacs on my windows pc.

I have changed configurations on DOS computers, AIX, and even have messed around in the windows registry with regedit. I mistakenly used the wrong tax year with the program "Itsdeductable" and the only way I could get it to reset was to uninstall and then go searching in the registry for all instances of anything with that name and delete it and then reinstall. I also used rededit with sprint broadband service to make the tcpip packet size bigger so that the broadband was faster. You would make smaller for internet gaming.

With my mac, i have only used the "system preferences" to config it. I also have a program called "MacTuneUp" which I have also used. No editing of files so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment