Monday, June 14, 2010

Unit 4 assignments

Everything went pretty well. At first, I had typos in the packages names for the wget commands and got the 404 errors. I checked the discussion board for my problem but nothing for what I was doing wrong. Quadruple checking the names did the trick. Brought up the webadmin with no problem. I ran into those certificate problems at my previous job every time they upgraded the lab firewall, so I knew how to handle those.

Adding user and group using the command line went well. Never used those commands but was familiar with the concepts. Never looked in the /etc/group and /etc/passwd before. Funny story from my next to last employer: one group that contained a lot of people kept overflowing and knocking the alphabetical last person out whenever someone was added. She would have to send an email around to all the users in the group to have themselves removed if they left the team. Not sure what the limit was, but I'm guessing either 128 or 256 for binary reasons. This was on HP-UX unix.

adding a user on the sandbox went okay once I remembered where to look for the password. Using the Webmin went well also. I could not bring up the site http://www.doxfer.com/Webmin/UsersAndGroups but didn't need it. Browser says it can't find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment