Monday, June 7, 2010

accessing remote desktop

We used VNC at my last job. We would access our office PC from the testing lab mostly for email and instant messaging. This was before they gave us all laptops. It took a while for the light to go on in my head that I had used it before so it was a pseudo-new experience for me. Very straightforward to use. IBM had an internal product for this but it was complicated, buggy, and much slower than this. Hopefully it was put out of its misery.

I have used linux before. I had it installed on my laptop as part of a dual-boot machine with windows. ended up not using it much because I was just so busy at work. Also developed on it. So the tutorials went over pretty familiar stuff.

Installing ubuntu server in VMWare was pretty straightforward and uneventful on my mac. It did download some components that it said it didn't have, which I did not see happen in the youtube videos so maybe I forgot to do something earlier. It was pretty cool to be remotely accessing a virtual machine even though I've done those kind of things in the past. I got a great sense of accomplishment and relief when everything was working correctly, alot like I did when software I developed would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment