Monday, July 26, 2010

unit 10, working on databases

This was the most challenging and the most work for me so far. I knew it probably was going to be seeing that the only database experience I've had is from Microsoft access in irls 571.

Some of the query concepts were kind of familiar from stuff I did at my last job. We had a defect/fix tracking tool that had a database underneath it. To generate reports you would do queries much like what we have done in class here. However, most people had scripts or they would use a GUI to do the queries that they wanted. The GUI would output the query command it was doing so that was helpful if you wanted to do something similar.

It was good to see the different ways of doing things with command line and the two GUIs. The way it was presented helped me understand it pretty fast. The tutorials were good too.

I had some additional work cut out for me as I had to replace my friend's router this week after the old one died. This one has an address of 192.168.2.1 for whatever reason. So I had to change some things in my ubuntu VM. I don't want to spend time changing the router, although sometime maybe I'll experiment. The default is encryption enabled on the wireless. He has it in a covered area between the guest house where I stay and the main house so that both can get wireless reception. However, both of us have wired connections as it is still faster even though in theory the wireless should be as fast. Having it outside exposed to heat and dust probably means it probably won't last long either. Someday he plans on enclosing the area. That is the only solution that will keep the electronics working longer.

The last project I worked on where I was working had a database inside the product to track various things. However, some of the stuff had to be taken out of there and stored in shared machine memory. The database was just too slow and was affecting performance to a very unacceptable degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment