Monday, October 11, 2010

IRLS 675 Unit 7

A concern I have is the amount of different software packages there are out there and the fact that institutions, like Stanford are still creating their own digital repository software. To me, this leads to a lot of inefficiency and waste. I know that the technology has not matured yet and at some point I would think there will be market consolidation. But right now, especially with budgets being tight, institutions need to really think about using something that is off the shelf, rather than developing their own. Stanford is doing that now with their second generation plan. I think more institutions, if they haven't already, will leverage their plans off of one of the existing software packages. This will hopefully improve the existing software and bring total costs down, while still allowing for innovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment